At Brighton Avenue Primary, we believe that mathematics equips pupils with a uniquely powerful set of tools, helping children to make sense of the world around them through developing their ability to calculate, to reason and to solve problems. It enables children to understand and appreciate relationships and pattern in both number and space in their everyday lives. Through their growing knowledge and understanding, children learn to appreciate the contribution made by many cultures to the development and application of mathematics.
At Brighton Avenue Primary School we aim to:
1. Develop a positive attitude to maths as an interesting and attractive subject.
2. Improve pupils' understanding, enjoyment and attainment in mathematics.
3. Develop mathematical understanding through systematic direct teaching of appropriate learning objectives.
4. Encourage the effective use of maths as a tool in a wide range of activities within school and, subsequently, adult life.
5. Ensure the teaching of greater depth and breadth (mastery and challenge) forms a key part of work within maths planning; mathematics is something that we want pupils - all pupils - to acquire, or rather to continue acquiring throughout their school lives, and beyond.
6. Develop the ability to use mathematical facts and fluency to reason mathematically.
7. Develop an ability in the children to express themselves fluently, to talk about the subject with assurance, using correct mathematical language and vocabulary.
8. Develop an appreciation of relationships within maths.
9. Develop ability to think clearly and logically with independence of thought and flexibility of mind.
10. Develop an appreciation of creative aspects of maths and awareness of its aesthetic appeal.
11. Develop mathematical skills and knowledge and quick recall of basic facts in line with government recommendations.